I wanting to start a hub but i dont know how much infill is standard.

and if i can always leave it the same or if the user has to tell it me or if i need to calculate it myself.

Can someone explain the infill part to me?


@tleijt123d For FDM printers we calculate the sliced material volume which is set by default at 20% infill. For more information, please check the How-to-Hub page which also contains a link to the How-to-Hub Handbook where you can find in-depth articles on questions you might have starting out as a Hub on 3D Hubs.


Robin - 3D Hubs

20% is the calculated standard but many will say 30%. Always confirm with your client the infill, for mechanical parts they may want 40% or so and for really basic prototypes 10% might do.

Interestingly the wall thicknesses don’t seem to be taken into consideration so personally I’d slice, check with customer and update the filament volume for price recalculation.


In terms of a “standard infill” percentage, the default infill on 3D Hubs is 20%, but for most basic prints 15% infill usually works. However, for stronger parts (like mechanical, moving, or intricate parts), you can usually go up to 30-40% infill (so they don’t break)! You can print with whatever infill, but you should always confirm with the client first. Personally, I investigate the model and give them a suggested infill percentage, which they can then modify to their liking.

If you were wondering what infill is, it is basically just the inside of your part (It is also called Fill Density). It can be laid down in a specific pattern, but the “honeycomb” pattern is what I use the most. Different infill percentages will give your part different strengths. For example, an infill of 5% would give you a very weak part, however an infill of 50% would give you a very strong part. Unfortunately, the higher the infill percentage, the more filament you are going to use. That is why I never use a super high infill percentage for orders. However, if the customer requests a high infill percentage, you may want to consider charging them for the extra filament. You can see the attached picture for more details.

I hope this helps!


Second this! A very good explanation of infill. At basic, the %age is the %age of the inside that’s solid. So 10% infill means 10% of the volume is solid and the other 90% is air.

So the higher the infill the stronger.

Thanks all!

So i should ask the user for infill percentage every time they order?

Or leave it at 20% unless they request another infill percentage?

Or calculate the percentage needed myself?

Say I was a customer, and I said “hi, I’d like to have this X carriage printed”

you’d then say: “hi, I see your X carriage is a mechanical, moving part so for the best results and usability I’d recommend using an infill of 40%. The standard used in the automatic quote is 20% and may be too weak for your purposes. Would you like me to recalculate the new price for you and print at 40%?”

Yeah! That is essentially what I would do too. If the customer doesn’t ask for a new infill percentage but the part requires more or less infill then 20%, go ahead and suggest a new infill percentage. However, if the customer doesn’t ask for a new infill percentage and the part would okay with 20% infill, then you can proceed without asking the customer for a new infill percentage.

I hope this helps clarify some things!


Ok thanks!