I got hold of a CTC i3 pro off of ebay which was not built by me, but the previous owner.
After some investigation on this priter I found too many issues with the build quality, and decided to do someting about it.
The first thing I bought was a hand held 3D pen to use as a plastic welder for some parts that need to be bonded. I still need to practice welding with it, but it dose the job well. The next thing I purchased was a steel frame from Orballo, as I have the intension to keep most of the serviceable parts from the CTC. That was the intension, but the main board blew so I have replaced with a ramps 1.4.
both of the z axis lead screws have been replaced with proper lead screws with a 2mm pitch.
I also have replaced the extruder with a bowden, and upgraded the bed to a 200 x 300. The photos show a standard extruder
I have also remade some feet I found on thiniverse to allow perminent fixture to a base board for stability.
Most of the modification parts and other parts I have designed can be found on thingivers, including some for future upgrades.
I am also installing auto bed leveling and a remote hot bed mosfet switch. This is to remove the load from the controller board, as I was concerned with the amount of current being drawn through the tracks of the pcb.
The other Issue I found with the CTC is the psu, the max current delivery if correct on the psu info lable is 15 amp. This means the Psu is beeing driven to the max. I have upgraded to a 30 amp psu which will give a more constant current delivery.
This is a rebuild in progress, and is almost completed just waiting for parts to arrive to finish the printer.