Energy developer Platinum Power SA has pre-qualified seven consortia for the design and construction of a 365 MW hydropower plant near Makay, Cameroon.
Named today as finalists for the turnkey contract were groups including:
- Acciona Construction / Acciona Industrial / Cooperativa Muratori Cementisti Ravenna ;
- Andrade Gutierrez Engenharia S.A / Andrade Gutierrez Europa, Africa, Asia S.A /
Construtora Barbosa Mello SA ;
- China Ghezouba Group Company / China Energy Engineering Corporation;
- China State Construction Engineering Corporation / Pearl River Planning Surveying &
- Mota Engil Africa ;
- NGE Contracting / Besix / SGTM ; and
- Sinohydro / Power China.
Platinum Power, a subsidiary of U.S.-based equity firm Brookstone Partners, announced its plan to invest 500 billion CFA francs (US$846 million) to build the project in July 2015.
The company will now invite the consortia to participate in a formal request for proposals, which will take placein the coming weeks.
The project is to be located on the Nyong River in the African county's Central Region, with power generated by the facility to be sold to utility Eneo Cameroon SA.
The central African country has about 13,700 MW-worth of hydroelectric potential, though more than 10 million residents currently lack access to power.
For more news from Africa, visit here.